- 1 envelope chicken fajita seasoning mix
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 30 ounces chicken broth
- 1/3 cup diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- tortilla chips
Prepare fajita mix according to package directions. Add chicken and marinate as directed. In large skillet, cook chicken in oil until lightly browned. Set aside.
In large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add the tomatoes, Velveeta and 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese. Cook and stir until melted. Stir in buttermilk and reserved chicken. Heat through, but do not boil. Garnish with remaining Monterey Jack cheese and add tortilla chips.