- 2 cups raspberries
- 1 cup pure dark amber maple syrup
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- pinch plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream for garnish
Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Combine raspberries, syrup, heavy whipping cream and grated orange peel with a pinch of salt in medium saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk egg and sugar in another bowl. Whisk buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla into the egg mixture. Add flour mixture to egg mixture. Whisk to blend. Pour warm raspberry mixture into 11x7x2 baking pan. Pour batter over.
Bake until golden and raspberry mixture bubbles at the edge, about 28 minutes. Cool 15 minutes. Serve warm topped with whipped cream.